Today is the end of National Children’s Week in Australia which celebrates the right of children to enjoy childhood. The theme this year is ‘The child’s right to speak and be heard’.
During the week I reflected on this as a parent and what the spirit of this means to our family. I found myself asking the following questions.
- What is the communication like in our family and with our kids?
- Do our kids feel safe to talk about their problems and what is important to them?
- Are we too quick to judge them without making an effort to really understand where they are coming from, what they are thinking?
- Are we listening to our kids and giving them the chance to get things out?
- Are we creating a caring, supportive and encouraging environment where it is safe to be vulnerable, to be open?